Aphrodite is known to be the Goddess of Love and Beauty. Well, this is true according to the Theogony of Hesiod. She was born from Paphos in its foam waters. This was directed towards Cyprus. Many said she just suddenly arose from the foam. This happened when Titan Cronus was seen slewing his father, Uranus. He was even seen throwing his genitals being thrown in the sea. There are still many facts about Aphrodite. What are these?
Based on Homer’s Iliad, Aphrodite was the daughter of Dione and Zeus. According to many Greek deities, there were still other stories which are related to the mentioned goddess. What are these?
There are gods out there who believed that the beauty of Aphrodite was the reason behind the war of gods. Since this was the case, Zeus asked Aphrodite to marry Hephaestus. This was done because he believed that he will not be a threat for he was deformed and ugly.
During her marriage, Aphrodite still entertained lovers. These lovers were not just gods, but also men. The popular ones she got involved with were god Ares, and Anchises who is an immortal. Aphrodite was also linked in the story of Psyche and Eros. This occurred when the known admirers of Psyche ignored, and even neglect Venus. Instead, they focused their attention on Psyche. As this unfortunate incident transpired, Aphrodite plotted a revenge against Eros or Cupid. However, the tables were turned because he fell in love with her instead.
There was also a time in the life of Aphrodite when she became the lover of Adonis and his surrogate mother. This fueled a fight and feud against Persephone. Zeus had to go in the way by decreeing Adonis. Adonis was tasked to spend half of the year with that of Persephone.
- Aphrodite was known as the goddess of beauty, fertility and love.
- There were two different stories explaining her birth. The first one was that she was the daughter of Dione and Zeus. The other one was that she rose from the sea foam.
- Aphrodite was asked to marry Hephaestus. However, she did not become part of the union in accordance to her own will.
- Ares and Aphrodite later convinced Harmonia to marry Herodotus.
- Her union with Hermes resulted to Hermaphroditus.
- Aphrodite planned a scheme with her own sun Cupid, or Eros, so that they could make Zeus fall for Europa, a human.
- Aphrodite fell in love with Adonis. She was there when the latter was born. Ever since, she was determined to make the boy hers. With this, Persephone was assigned to the care of Adonis. However, Persephone fell in love with him. This was the time when Zeus had to do something for mediation.
- A swan-drawn car was utilized by Aphrodite so that she could glide easily through the air.
- Ever since, Hera and Aphrodite were not friends.
There were times when Aphrodite was symbolized by Rose, Scallop Shell and Dolphin.